Are Dental Implants Safe?
More patients are seeking dental implants to replace missing teeth. If you are deliberating replacing your missing teeth, it is common to have questions about dental implants. Such as “are dental implants safe?” Typically, if you can have routine dental work performed, you are a suitable candidate for dental implants.
What are dental implants?
To understand the answer to the question are dental implants safe, you should first know what a dental implant is.
Dental implants replace your natural tooth roots. The root mechanism is a small titanium post, that is surgically implanted into your jawbone using a local anaesthetic. The dental implant provides an anchor for the crown (false tooth). A single dental implant can support either a single crown or multiple false teeth.
Once the dental implant is placed, it fuses with your jawbone. You might still be wondering, are dental implants safe? Yes, because dental implants are made from biocompatible titanium. This metal has good-bone bonding ability and excellent corrosion resistance due to its oxide layer.
The fusion process is called osseointegration and typically takes about 3-6 months. Many times, osseointegrated dental implants are more stable than natural teeth.
Once the site has healed, an abutment is placed on top of the implant, and your customised crown is fitted in place for a natural-looking and fully functional tooth. You brush and floss your new tooth just like the rest of your natural teeth.
With an excellent at-home oral regimen and regular dental cleanings and exams, and depending on when you receive your dental implant, it can last a lifetime. But the crown may need to be replaced eventually due to wear and tear.
Why dental implants are safe
Dental implants are an excellent alternative to dentures and bridges. They have become the go-to procedure for replacing missing teeth because of their high success rate, look and feel as well as easy maintenance.
At the Dental Spot, your oral health and wellness are important to us. When you book your assessment, we will discuss the benefits of your tooth replacement options.
The benefits of dental implants include
- Dental implants feel, resemble and function like natural teeth
- Dental implant surgery has a success rate of about 95%.
- Reduced risk of bone loss because dental implants stimulate bone growth
- Enjoyment of a varied diet with no dietary restrictions
- Unlike a dental bridge, there is no need to shape adjacent teeth
- No day-to-day frustrations of slipping dentures or a loose bridge
- Because dental implants are permanent and stable, you won’t experience the chafing or discomfort that can occur with dentures
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
For more than half a century, dental implants have been used safely and successfully to restore patients’ confidence and smiles. However, you may be ineligible for dental implants if you have any of the following issues:
- An allergy or sensitivity to copper, lead, zinc or nickel
- You are a heavy smoker
- Severe periodontal disease (unless you can restore your gum health)
- Lack of healthy bone tissue to hold the implant (a bone graft or sinus lift can correct this issue)
- Several metal fillings because the titanium can react with the amalgam and cause galvanic corrosion
- A pre-existing chronic disorder such as heart disease, cancer or diabetes
Your dentist will discuss your eligibility for dental implant surgery at your evaluation and consultation.
Is the dental implant procedure safe?
The dental implant procedure is oral surgery. At Dental Spot, your safety is our priority. We excel at gentle dentistry and use the latest techniques and equipment in a state-of-the-art environment to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure.
We perform dental implant surgery using a local anaesthetic, so you should feel no discomfort during the procedure. Depending upon the number of dental implants placed, you may experience some slight swelling or tenderness at the surgery site for a few days afterwards.
OTC pain relievers can alleviate any discomfort. Following a soft food diet for a few days can also help. Cold or lukewarm foods can help reduce any swelling you may be experiencing
If you require a permanent, safe, and realistic solution to tooth loss, don’t wait. Call us on (02) 9158 6115 to book your consultation. We can restore your smile, confidence, and oral health.